Thursday, March 10, 2011

For Tacuma

In seven days, one of my best friends would have turned 26 years old. Even though he is not here with me in the physical, his energy greatly influences my choices, decisions and outcomes of situations I encounter on a day-to-day basis.

Today...for the next seven days...for every day that I draw breath, I give thanks for having him in my life.


I'Akobi Tacuma Hembadoon

by Ayesha NuRa - 2008

When we were children and I thought you left me, I cried a lake. Now, years later, my tears have transformed the vibration of the water, swollen it, and the dams have burst, forcing my lake to flow unhindered into a river. And though the river has changed from a raging current to a trickling stream, it leads slowly and softly into the ocean of tears shed by all your loved ones.

At times, it seemed that my daily intake of water could never replenish the water I'd shed over our separation.

And then you returned, to quench my thirst and soothe my soul. To fill my heart with the love and compassion I've grown to expect whenever I feel your presence.

And I realize, if I've ever realized anything in this entire lifetime, that you've never left me. And our bond grows stronger as I grow closer to the Divine and closer to you.

And still, I CRY I. Yet, my tears have been altered. From tears of sorrow and pain and guilt from, "Why didn't I"s to tears of elation because I can feel you in the wind and I see you in the faces of the children I lead. When they ask, "What happened to Uncle I'Akobi?" I can say, "He made a sacrifice so your freedom would be guaranteed."

Because you knew that our spiritual growth was never a want but a desperate need, I see clearly now that you merely planted a seed. A seed that I must now nurture and grow to fruition. A seed of faith, strength, endurance and love. And I must water this seed with exactly what it encompasses to ensure its eternal life and ours.

1 comment: